Sunday, August 5, 2012

The Adventure Spends some Time in E-Mart...Day 10 in Korea

I had no idea what was in store for me that day when I woke up on Saturday. After cooking some rice noodles for breakfast, and eating them while listening to a Korean lesson on my computer, I updated my blog, answered a few emails, and Skyped while I did laundry. After hanging my laundry out to dry, I tried to figure out what I would do that day. I really wanted to go read a book in the park, but it was very hot. I knew that I needed some stuff from E-Mart, and didn't want to tote a book along, so I decided I would go get some stuff from E-Mart, bring it back, and then go back to the park to read around the late afternoon, when the temperature would not be so hot.


Before I went out, I spotted my phone lying on my little TV stand and had a thought. I'd been trying to take pictures with my phone while it was on Airplane Mode (which means it has no service. Otherwise, I might be hit with a phone bill for thousands of dollars in roaming fees. No joke.) When my phone was in regular mode, my pictures just went straight to the most recent part of my photo album on my phone. While taking them in Airplane Mode, I would take a picture, save it, then go to the same place only to find that the photo had disappeared into some secret, unknown chamber of my phone. I had the idea that they might be sent to the BEGINNING of the album while in Airplane Mode. Guess what? I was right? I took my phone with me and started snapping pictures along my walk. Here are a few of them.



This is a picture of a window in my stairwell. You could have gone the rest of your life without seeing it.

Part of the road that leads out to the main highway from my complex.


This is a shot of the main highway in front of the gas station that I wait at every morning.


The gas station that I wait at every morning, where the old pump attendant sits in his chair.



The highway, heading in the direction of downtown Gwangju. Notice the mountains in the distance.


A road sign. While most road signs are in both English and Korean, this one is just in Korean. It reads "Seoul - 41 km
Seongnam - 14 km"



Apparently "Slow" or "Slow Down" in Korean is "Choen choen hee"


The park in downtown Gwangju that I love. You can see the big, yellow E-Mart sign above the building on the other side.


Some workout equipment in the park. There are several sets, but they all pretty much rely on your body weight. I love these machines. I actually tried these out that day because no one was in the park.


A bridge that crosses the river that runs through the park. At night it has colored lights on it. This is where the patriotic Korean man was playing his drum on his scooter.


A stone walkway that you can cross if you're feeling adventurous. I was feeling adventurous and my feet got wet because of it.


This is on the other side of the park. I was trying to get a shot of the edge of the city, but the sun and reflections made it hard to see.

As I was walking up to the E-Mart, I was approached by an old Korean man who was wearing a red vest and carrying a clipboard. He started speaking to me in Korean, asking if I spoke any of the language. I told him "A little." (Politely) He gestured me over to a table with an umbrella and sat me down. He started pointing to pictures in a book. They were of different cities...I think they were all cities where the Olympics had been held. I wasn't quite sure what he was saying, but he kept talking. After showing me a few pictures, he handed me his clipboard and a pen. There was a survey on it in both English and Korean. It seemed to be directed at foreigners. From what I could gather, it was about free events that foreigners (and possibly locals) would like to see from the city. As I began to fill it out, two old ladies (also wearing red vests) ran over from across the street. They started talking to me, one in somewhat broken English. Every time I would write an answer down, they would make exclamations about my background. (For example, when I put what country I was from, they all said "Ohhhhh! USA! You are American!") They noticed that I was sweating a lot, and they all started fanning me with their clipboards. One of the old ladies took some tissues out of her purse and (I shit you not) began to wipe the sweat off of my neck, face, and arms. I thanked her and told her that she was very kind. When I finished the survey, I gave it back to them, shook their hands, bowed, thanked them, and told them to go in peace. (which they loved) As I was leaving, I heard the old lady with the tissues start yelling "Hello! Hello! Hello!" I turned around, and she was running up to me with some more tissues in her hands. I accepted them, thanked her again, told her to go in peace again, and went into the E-Mart. I have never been treated so kindly by complete strangers in my life. I know it may sound weird to other Westerners, but this experience really made my whole day better. I am still in shock and dismay by the kindness and generosity of these people.

While walking around in the food court, I saw something that looked a little out of place among all the Korean food stands...


Welp, that's it! Korea has Popeye's. I think I've run out of my last reason to come home. Sorry Mom!

While I was browsing in the E-Mart, I saw something that I hadn't seen in over a week...a white guy. At last! Another Westerner! He just kind of looked at me, nodded, and moved on. (He had his girlfriend with him. I think she may have been Korean American. He spoke to her in English) I was kind of disappointed that another Westerner wasn't as glad to see me as I was to see him. Oh well...

After buying my stuff, I went upstairs into the food court to a food stand where they had gimbap. I managed to order some, indicate that I wanted it to go, and pay the right amount for it. This made me especially happy because a)I now had gimbap, and b) I had successfully ordered it from a complete stranger. I must admit, I was pretty proud of myself. As I was leaving, I spotted a stand that had the same kind of spicy chicken that the old man by the school made. I decided that I might try to purchase some of that the next time I was hungry.

I left E-Mart and took a long way home to avoid the old people. (I just didn't know how to act around them!)

I got back to the apartment, cooled down, and unpacked my stuff. While eating my gimbap, I made plans with another friend to meet up the next day with her and her friend in downtown Seongnam. 




Mmmmmmm...gimbap.


Once we figured out where we would meet and how to get there, it was getting dark. I was kind of sad that I'd missed my window of opportunity to read in the park, but knew that I had more stuff to get from E-Mart so I set back out towards the city. The park was alive with people, but I knew that I had limited time before E-Mart closed so I headed there, across the big bridge where cars could cross the river.


At the same spot as earlier that day, I got ambushed by another flock of old people in red vests. I told them that I'd already filled out a survey, but stayed and talked with them for a bit anyway. The old man (different one) in the group asked me if I was from Uzbekistan. "Mee gook," I replied (which means American in Korean), and they all made more exclamations. This group of elderly people also fanned me. This is kind of a big deal to me because the elderly in Korea are a very honored caste who command a lot of respect. I felt like I should be fanning THEM. I hoped that I was acting appropriately. After talking with them for a bit, I bowed, thanked them, told them that it was nice to meet them, and bade them go in peace. They bowed back, thanked me, and gave me the same well-wishing.

I got my stuff that I needed in E-Mart, and went back upstairs to the food court. Could I successfully order the spicy chicken stuff? Answer: Yes I could!. I got a cup of spicy chicken and headed out to the park, once again taking the long way.



The park was even more alive than usual. On the corner where I entered, there was a concert that was being held by some saxophonists.



Concert in the Park. The Koreans really seemed to enjoy this. 


Out of focus spicy chicken. It was good, but not as good as that of the old man who has the place near the school.


People walking and playing Badminton


People playing Basketball


The Bridge that crosses the river. This is the big one that cars go over. It changes colors.


See? I told you that it changed colors!


This is the little bridge in the middle of the park. I like the lights on it.

I snapped a couple more photos on the way back.


This sign says "Dee Dee Chee Keen" (D. D. Chicken)


This is a glowing cross above one of the buildings in town. There is a glowing cross over just about every church in town. I guess it is because many of the churches share buildings with other businesses. (We have a church on the bottom floor of our school building)

I got back home, put my new stuff up, and updated my blog. I went to bed that night, excited about meeting two new Westerners the next day in Seongnam.


2 comments:

  1. Kind of. It has a little big of a stronger flavor because there's this pickled yellow turnip in it. It's kind of tangy. The meats are just ham and crab. Pretty good stuff. If you ever go to Duluth, they have it at the Korean market.

    ReplyDelete